Text MessagesReceive a text message (IM) in either your native or your target learning language, and you can then use several extremely helpful features. Tap and hold over the message to select the following:
- ‘Speak’ will dictate the message aloud.
- ‘Translate’ gives you a choice of languages to convert the message into, showing the translation beneath the original
- ‘Transliteration’ spells out the characters. In the case of Chinese, for example, each character features the corresponding Pinyin, thus dramatically deciphering your second language.
- ‘Correction’ will enable you to provide your language partner with an example of how you believe they should have written their message to you.
Voice MessagesReceive a voice message in your second language and you have the following features at the tips of your fingers: Transcription converts the voice message into text using the language of your choice; be it your mother tongue or your second language. Click ‘more’ for top language choices You then have access to all of the features of text messages, as listed above!
Member ProfilesSuppose that you browse profiles where members have used purely their own language. Not a problem:
- Tap and hold over the “Self-introduction” and you can see the meaning of individual phrases and characters. Tap the speaker icon to hear them spoken
- Tap and hold over “My Hometown”, “My Education”, “My Occupation”, “Interests & Hobbies”, and “Places I want to go” to see the direct translations, arming you with all the information you need to strike up that all-important initial conversation!