Here’s some tips on How to start a conversation in HelloTalkto have a successful Learning Partner:
1. Don’t just say “Hi” or wave.
You need to grab the other person’s attention. Make them remember you. Be confident, send something funny. Don’t be that person whose message is just going to disappear into the list.
2. Start with a compliment. Pick out something you like about their profile or their moments to show you’ve actually looked at them.
3. Don’t ask questions where the answer is in their profile already.
4. Don’t start the conversation by asking if they can be your teacher. Remember, they might be learning too.
5. Lead the conversation since you started it.
6. Dont act like you are too close. Be respectful.
7. Get the convo going by evoking some sort of emotion. If you get some emotion into the conversation it’s the best way to make it memorable.
8. If you reached out to ask to become language learning partners, be prepared that the other person might prefer different forms of communication (chat, calls, video calls). You cant learn everything by just regular chat.
9. Don’t ask right away about what their Job is Or any personal info. That’s just suspicious.
10. Not having a decent profile pic, profile introduction, and any moments are Usually a red flag. And I myself will just ignore your messages.
11. Do not start the conversation by calling them with pet names (dear, babe, etc.). That’s rude.
12. Be honest. That means stop making up fake moments or posting fake pictures. Sooner or later you will get caught by your own lies or you will be reported.
13. Comment also on their moments. Not just through chat. Help them if their posts needs corrections. After all, this is a learning app.
14. Enjoy the conversation, go with the flow, be respectful of your language partners culture, don’t be nasty. Be understanding of their language level. And if the conversation isn’t going well at all. By all means, stop 🛑 Don’t force it.
Happy talking. No hard feelings!
Download the HelloTalk app to join the conversation.