Somebody requested that I do a lesson on Demonstratives “this, that, these, and those”.
If this is the first time you’re seeing my page, I teach English grammar here on Hellotalk. Follow my page to see more English grammar posts!
“This” and “that” are singular.
“These” and “those” are plural.
We use “this” (singular) to talk about one item that is nearby.
- This dog is really cute.
- This painting is beautiful.
We use “these” (plural) to talk about multiple items that are nearby.
- These dogs are really cute.
- These paintings are beautiful.
We use “that” (singular) to talk about one item that is far away.
- That car is really expensive.
- That person is walking really quickly.
We use “those” (plural) to talk about multiple items that are far away.
- Those cars are really expensive.
- Those people are walking really quickly.
Download the HelloTalk app to join the conversation.