Every 30 seconds, a teenager in America attempts suicide dueto bullying. Here are some alarming facts about bullying in the United States:
1. Half of all children are bullied at some time during their school years. More than 10% are bullied regularly.
2. Boys tend to bully according to groups, such as “athlete” versus “non-athlete.” Girls tend to bully according to social status, such as “popular” vs. “unpopular.”
3. Children who are obese are more likely to be bullied. Additionally, overweight and obese girls are more likely to be physically bullied.
4. Bullying escalates in the later years of elementary school, peaks in middle school, and then dissipates by high school. Often 6th grade is the worst year for bullying.
5. Approximately 30% of children who are bullied have suicidal thoughts. About 10% attempt suicide because of bullying.
Download the HelloTalk app to join the conversation.